Sunday, April 21, 2013

I'm back and so is my back.

You may be wondering where I have been. Maybe you haven't been wondering where I have been. If you (and the thousands of others) who follow this thing have noticed a "blip" in time, you are an attentive person. I'm guessing no one has noticed.

A week ago Thursday I came home from the gym, tried to get up off of the couch and as Lennon and McCartney sang, "Twist and Shout" came to life. I instantly felt pain shoot from the back of my knees, halfway up my back. Muscle stuff.

During the next week, things got progressively better; however, exercise was out of the question. In the mornings, I was really stiff and had to kind of swing my hips in order for my legs to move. By noon things were better and by supper time I had a bit of pain, but things weren't bad. I also had a really busy week that required me to be at school until 8 or 9 each night, so that meant a whole bunch of sitting.

Friday I headed into St Albert to see the Cowboy Junkies (really good show) and on Saturday I had meetings at Barnett House. Things were feeling pretty good, so I thought that Servus would be a good option. I headed over Saturday afternoon and did 20 laps on the track. It was a different run, because I was being extra careful, but it felt pretty good.

Today I went back to Servus, but I had no intention of working out - I plunked into the whirlpool after a visit to the steam room. Hopefully I can get back into a bit of a routine this week, but I'm also amazed at how a fairly long break makes you appreciate the times when you can exercise.

1 comment:

  1. Return to fitness as a 40+. Good for you, Richard. It does have it's challenges though. Sympathies on the back as well. Mine seizes up from time to time also.

    ReplyDelete